Residential Occupancy Requirements

The following are the residential requirements for moving into the City of Wentzville. This should be informational to new, current and prospective residents and for real estate agents representing their clients.

Buying a Newly Constructed House
All occupancies are obtained by the builder as part of their construction permit. New buyers can set up their water, trash and sewer accounts by calling (636) 327-5101. There is a deposit required for all new accounts. The amount of the deposit is based upon the area of the City and the services provided.

Buying or Selling a House
There is no occupancy inspection required by the City when selling a house. If the house is going to be leased or rented an occupancy inspection will be required before a tenant may occupy the house. 

Renting or Leasing a Property
Every time there is a resident change at a property address, a City occupancy inspection is required. The City does not stipulate whether the landlord or renter orders the inspection. The inspection must be completed and passed before a occupant can move in. The fee for the Occupancy Inspection is $50.00 and is valid for 90 days.  To request an occupancy inspection please fill out the Residential Occupancy Permit Application or call  (636) 327-5101.

Generally, after the occupancy inspection is paid for, it can be scheduled within one business day.

See the Occupancy Inspection Checklist to view the items that will be inspected.


Stay Up to Date
Sign up for our eNewsletter